Vitamin D is often known as Sunshine Vitamin because it is produced in our skin when we expose ourselves to the sun. Apart from sun exposure, there are fewer food sources of this vital Vitamin. It is also available in the form of supplements.
Vitamin D performs many significant functions, including facilitating normal immune function, maintaining healthy teeth and bones, and protecting against a variety of ailments such as Osteoporosis.
Vitamin D has both hormonal and Vitamin properties, and it maintains mineral homeostasis and proper formation of bone.
This article provides a complete guide about the sunshine vitamin, read till the end if you want to get serious benefits from this crucial micronutrient.
What is Vitamin D vital for you?
We can’t emphasize enough the importance of Vitamin D. It is not only the essential micronutrient for our body but also a hormonal precursor. There are innumerous benefits that show how critical Vitamin D3 is for us. Some benefits of vitamin D are;
- Fight diseases. The sunshine vitamin protects us from many lethal diseases like multiple sclerosis, heart disease, and cancer. A recent study has suggested that vitamin D deficiency is associated with the risk of developing various types of cancer. But Vitamin D supplementation has reduced the chances of cancer drastically.
- Reduce depression. Vitamin D plays a very significant role n warding off depression. According to research, Vitamin D supplements reduce depression in patients effectively. If you can’t go out in the sun, take vitamin D supplements to get rid of depression and anxiety.
- Keep bones strong. We have been listen8ng since childhood that milk makes bones more durable because it is enriched with vitamin D. sunshine vitamin deficiency causes so many bones related diseases or conditions such as rickets, Osteoporosis. Lack of vitamin D causes the bone soft and fragile.
- Absorbing Calcium. If you are consuming calcium supplements or eating food full of calcium, stop it right there. Calcium is incorporated in our body with the help of Vitamin D. Together, these essential nutrients keep the bones and teeth healthy, along with preventing our bones from degeneration. When we consume vitamin D in the form of supplements or expose ourselves to the sun, it becomes an active vitamin in our bodies. It enhances calcium absorption from the diet.
- Lose weight. If you are on a weight loss journey, try adding vitamin D supplements in your diet. It helps a lot in losing weight effectively. In a study, obese women who were taking vitamin D supplements were able to lose weight effectively than women taking a placebo supplement.
What is Vitamin D deficiency?
Vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency means that your body isn’t getting enough Vitamin D according to its requirements. As we know that Vitamin D is rare, and only the sun or a few foods are the sources of it. Dark-toned people can be deficient in Vitamin D because their skin tone doesn’t allow them to absorb enough vitamin D as compared to light-toned people. Take Vitamin D supplements regularly if you have a darker skin tone, or you are unable to get it from your diet.
Effects of Vitamin D deficiency
Insufficient levels of Vitamin can take a toll on your life and make you suffer through the following conditions;
- Heart disease
- high blood pressure.
- immune system disorders.
- Develop risk of various types of cancer, such as colon, prostate
- Multiple sclerosis.
Sources of Vitamin D
- Sun is the best and foremost source of the sunshine vitamin. Expose yourself to the sun for about 15- 30 minutes, three days each week.
- Milk, yogurt, and egg yolks are well-known sources of vitamin D.
- Take vitamin supplements.