Are you getting plenty of Zinc in your diet? Zinc is a trace mineral found all around the body and is needed to perform many life functions such as boosting immunity, cell division, cell growth, and wound healing. After iron, it is the amplest mineral in our bodies.
Before proceeding towards the benefits, we need to understand why our bodies want Zinc for a quality life? The principal function of Zinc is to make the immune system work properly. Without Zinc, a person will be more prone to infectious, viral, and bacterial diseases. It also enhances insulin function. During Pregnancy, zinc supplements are a must as they promote the development of many vital organs of infants.
Some several signs and symptoms will help you know if you are getting enough Zinc or not. Some of these symptoms are growth retardation, loss of appetite, decreased immunity, hair loss, diarrhea, delayed sexual maturation, impotence, and skin and eye lesions. A recent study has suggested that zinc deficiency will lead to delay in cognitive development.
Sources of Zinc
There are many sources of Zinc, including beans, whole grains, cereals, legumes, and nuts, particular types of seafood, and supplements.
How much Zinc should you take?
Every zinc supplement has a different amount of Zinc in it. This amount is usually mentioned on the supplement’s label, making it easier to determine how much you should get to meet your daily zinc requirements. The recommended daily dosage is 15–30 mg for adults.
Benefits of Zinc
There are so many benefits that Zinc provides, few of them are listed below;
- Improves Immunity. Zinc supplements boost immunity by activating T cells, which are the central defenders of our immune system. T cells control, regulate the immune responses, and attack infected cells. A study has shown that Zinc can reduce the typical cold duration. Another research has suggested that Zinc has a significant influence on the immune system. It has a substantial effect on the immunity mediators such as enzymes, cytokines.
- Control blood sugar. High levels of blood sugar cause diabetes, which is a chronic disease. But thanks to Zinc supplements that control blood sugar and save us from diabetes. It controls blood sugar and insulin secretion. Researches have shown a strong association between diabetes and low zinc concentration. It is one of those essential macronutrients that are responsible for the onset of diabetes. One study has shown that zinc supplements control long-term and short-term blood sugar control in patients.
- Improves Heart Health. A healthier heart promotes a healthier life. Zinc supplements reduce risk factors for heart disease and lower triglyceride and cholesterol levels. A study has shown that zinc supplements decrease total and LDL cholesterol and blood triglycerides, which prevent heart disease. Another survey conducted among 40 obese Korean women shows that zinc supplements lower the systolic blood pressure in these women.
- Heals Wound. Zinc maintains skin structure and reliability. People who have chronic wounds or ulcers are usually deficient in Zinc. They have low zinc metabolism and zinc serum levels. Zinc supplements promote skin health and treat common skin conditions such as pimples and acne. In one study, Zinc has produced positive results in treating inflammatory acne.
- Slow Down Macular Degeneration. age related Macular degeneration is an eye disease that is the leading cause of sight loss across the globe. Zinc supplements slow down the macular degeneration and protect the sight loss. A study conducted among 72 people suffering from age-related macular degeneration showed that taking zinc supplements regularly for three months slow down the disease. It prevents cellular damage in the retina and protects older adults from macular degeneration.