If you think your body has enough vitamin C, and you don’t need any supplements? Think again!
Vitamin C, or ascorbic acid, is a vital vitamin that our body neither produces nor stores it. Yet, it is required by our body to perform crucial functions to maintain optimal health.
There are many sources of vitamin C, like fruits, vegetables, and supplements as well. The average recommended dose of vitamin c for women is 75 mg, and for men, it’s 90 mg.
There are tremendous benefits that Vitamin C supplements provide. But before discussing the advantages, let’s have a look at why our bodies need vitamin C.
Why we need Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is an organic compound, that shows it is present in living things and has carbon and oxygen.
Vitamin C is water-soluble, so the body doesn’t store it. To maintain enough levels of vitamin C in the body need a daily intake of food that contains it. It promotes the production of collagen, L-carnitine, and neurotransmitters. It also metabolizes proteins. The antioxidant activity of ascorbic acid may lessen the risk of developing cancers.
Vitamin C deficiency leads to scurvy, swollen joints, bleeding gums, tooth loss, anemia, and tiredness.
Benefits of Vitamin C supplements
- Protects against Cancer. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that protect the body against oxidative stress. It helps in preventing the oxidation of other molecules. Studies have shown that vitamin C reduces tumor growth. Many scientist disagree that vitamin C is not an effective cancer treatment. However, much research that has been conducted favors the use of Vitamin C for cancer treatment.
- Reduces Blood Pressure. Blood pressure is the main reason for chronic diseases like heart diseases. It is the leading cause of death across the globe. A study has shown that Vitamin C supplements reduce systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Another research has shown that vitamin C supplements relax the blood vessels responsible for carrying the blood towards heart and thus reduces blood pressure significantly.
- Lower risk of heart diseases. We all try our level best to avoid any food that will develop the risk of heart disease. But what if you get a magic wand that will promote a healthier heart and ward off heart diseases. That magic wand is a Vitamin C supplement. Researches have proved that Vitamin C supplements reduce the chances of heart diseases. An analysis of 9 studies has shown that people who consume 700 mg of vitamin C regularly had a 25% lower risk of heart disease than those who did not take vitamin C supplements. In one research, it is found that vitamin c supplements reduce bad cholesterol (LDL) by 7.9% and triglycerides by 20%.
- Enhance immune function. Vitamin C boosts immunity because it plays a crucial role in our immune system. Vitamin C raises the production of white blood cells, which fights the infections significantly. It helps in the production of white blood cells and protects these cells from damage.it also strengthens the skin barriers and heal wounds effectively.
- Keeps your skin fresh. Vitamin C produces collagen and helps the skin look young and wrinkle-free. As we grow older, collagen production diminishes. But a vitamin C supplement comes to help by making collagen and decreasing wrinkles. It also produces elastin, which makes the skin look healthy and glowing. Elastin thickens, protects ad heals the skin.
- Common Cold. Vitamin C supplements are the best and effected remedy for common cold and flu. It lessens the severity of flu and cold attacks. Along with that, Vitamin C supplements also reduce the nauseating effects of cold.